Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday – Orangutans





There are a few days in a lifetime that you will always remember. Today will be one of those days for me. The diplomat from the Embassy and his family took me to the Orangutan reserve in the Sumatra rainforest. The hike was the most strenuous I have ever taken. The path was uphill with steep uneven steps. There were rocks and fallen trees to circumvent. And did I mention the heat? We also had to cross a rushing river via a flimsy boat. I am pleased that I made it, but I must say I was totally exhausted and had to stop several times to catch my breath. Yes, I am out of shape, but this terrain would challenge almost anyone.

The reward at the end of the journey was worth it. I was able to see orangutans in their natural habitat. This was NOT the zoo. I saw orangutans swinging in the trees and eating their lunch. I also saw some smaller monkeys as well. The rainforest is threatened due to logging. I am pleased that Indonesia is trying to set aside the land to support these beautiful animals.

2 comments:

  1. That must be an exciting sightseeing tour, I should try it (especially those steps)someday..


    Agustina Veny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know that finally you took a break!!!

    ReplyDelete