Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday, February 26, 2010-



Today is an Islamic holiday and the schools and universities are closed. I am spending my day in transit from Batam back to Jakarta.

I was surprised to have a visitor to my hotel room. At Thursday’s dinner I met a young woman who I believe is from the Business Association of Batam. We didn’t exchange many comments as her English wasn’t very good and of course I couldn’t speak in her language. So a few smiles and a few pleasantries were the extent of our communication. She arrived at my door with a large package. It was wrapped and I wasn’t sure what it was. While I am grateful for gifts and for the thought, the first concern was I am already overweight with luggage and it is SO difficult for me to transport my stuff from place to place. How am I going to get this big box home?

I checked out of my hotel room in Batam and took the equivalent of the hotel shuttle to the airport (cost Rp. 90.000 plus I gave him a Rp. 10,000 tip—equivalent $10. I am not sure if you are supposed to tip or not, but I am always happy when the event is uneventful. At the airport I allowed the porter to help me with my bags. What’s a Rp.50,000 tip (equivalent of $5.00)? This really helped because he squeezed through the crowds with those heavy bags on a cart. At the last airport I really struggled! Another lesson learned.

The person at the ticket counter was kind and although he spoke very little English, we got through the overweight charges (Rp. 300,000 --- $30). I think I was really taken when I flew from Jakarta to Medan. The SAME baggage and I was charged Rp 750,000 or $75). Those rupiahs can add up!

I found the airport tax counter and paid the Rp 30,000 tax. I feel like I am becoming a pro at this. And, I found the gate without a problem. The flight was uneventful and I my reservation with the taxi meant that someone greeted me at the baggage claim. Arrived at the hotel and all was well.

I took a walk through the shopping mall connected to the hotel. It is a big modern mall. Now that I have toured Indonesia I can really see the difference between the people of Jakarta and the people elsewhere. In the mall I saw many young women dressed in mini-skirts and other skimpy attire. You would never see a woman dressed that way in Medan or Balikpapan.

Back at the hotel my curiosity got the better of me and I opened the package that was delivered this morning. When I opened it I found a beautiful traditional and handcrafted doll. I truly love it and know now that it will be worth it to take the extra trouble to carry it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment