Thursday, February 25, 2010

Feb. 24 - Onto Batam

The logic here is sometimes different. For example, I was told that I would be picked up at 7:30 AM. Since I had to check out of the hotel and I wanted to have breakfast (usually my most substantial meal of the day), I awoke early. I packed and did all of the things necessary. I tried to get the bellman to help me with my bags but after waiting about 10 minutes I feared I would be late so I just brought them down myself. I have two suitcases, one large and one small, that are really heavy. I have received several plaques for my work here and they are bulky and heavy. The weight of the bags have been of concern for me because although I easily can pass the baggage allowance for international flights, I am way over-weight for these domestic flights within Indonesia. And, today is one of those flights.

The driver did arrive at 7:30-ish and informed me that it was too early; I should wait in the lobby for a while because the meetings weren’t going to begin(?). So, I don’t know……. Why they had to send the driver to tell me this rather than to call my hotel room where I could have worked more comfortably or had taken more time to get ready for the day’s events, I do not understand. It is just different here. So I sat in the lobby for 20 minutes until the driver said it was time to go.
I was driven to the consulate office. I met with three reports from Medan newspapers. I am not sure if I will ever see their stories, but they seemed somewhat interested. There was a story printed in the Jakarta Globe today about community colleges and mentioned my name. I stumbled on it through my Google Alert setting.

The first presentation was at another vocational high school. I had a very warm reception – both literally and figuratively. While things were being set-up I went through the audience shaking hands and asking students their names and ages. Most students could understand rudimentary English. My speech was translated. At the end of the talk we had the very common rush to take pictures. This is as close to a celebrity I will ever be so I reveled in the attention of so many adorable students wanting to have a picture taken with me. Two students even asked for my autograph!
The high school aged students here are very different from their American counterparts. These students are still children. They still giggle and they enjoy games.

I needed to exchange some money so I asked if I could visit the money changer. I learned a few more Indonesian oddities. First, the moneychangers do not like small bills; they prefer 100’s and the exchange rate is lower if changing smaller bills. Second, they will deduct money if the bills were folded or dirty or look used. My interpreter suggested that since I was not exchanging a $100 bill, and my bills showed signs of age that it would be to my benefit to go to the ATM machine. The ATM was in English and Bahasa so I was able to withdraw some rupiahs. Another lesson learned.

We then went to the Medan airport to fly to Batam. The airport was a zoo. There were so many people. The manners here are different. I was trying to get through the airport but not making much progress. My interpreter told me that I must just push my way through or else I will never make it. So, I tried to do my best. The bottom line is that I made it to the plane, and the flight was uneventful. I am to spend the next two nights in Batam.

1 comment: