Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Feb. 23-- Another Busy day on the Island of Sumatra


The activities of the day began with a about an hour’s drive to the city of Stabat. I gave a presentation to about 70 teachers and government officials. The presentation was a large building that had a resemblance to a mosque. The room was not air conditioned, but there were a few ceiling fans.

We then had lunch at an Indonesian restaurant. This restaurant puts a series of about 8 small plates filled with different foods on the table. The customers are charged only for the dishes that they eat. I couldn’t help but wonder how this process really works. So, the food on my table may have sat on other tables but was not eaten. Hmmmm……. I wonder what US health officials would think of this system. I didn’t eat much—just couldn’t work up the appetite.

The next presentation was at the Universitas Muhammadiyah Sumatera Utara. This university offers a blend of general curriculum and Islamic teachings. I presented to over 100 students and administrators. The room was air-conditioned and I felt much better than I did in the morning presentation.

By the time I was done with the second presentation, it was after 4 PM. But, the day was not over. The next venue was a tea with prominent officials and educators at The Consulate. The Consulate is where the Consul General lives. It is almost a palace. It has a sentry and a high fence. The home is enormous. I saw two maids (but I am sure there are more). There were 10 people present, each representing a different institution or organization. The topic of discussion was how can Indonesia begin a focused vocational program? Eyes looked to me for the answer. I provided some ideas but none of them were especially enlightened. There is a serious problem here with corruption. As long as the corruption exists, even the best of ideas are destined to fail.

Back to hotel. Tomorrow I have a meeting with the media and another presentation to a vocational high school. Then I am on a flight to Batam. Batam is an island and city in Riau Islands Province of Indonesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment