Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Feb. 17-- Landing in Borneo

I am thankful for my hearty buffet breakfast that I got at the hotel this morning because the activities of the day didn’t leave a lot of time for refreshments. Further, I hope that the activities burned off the calories.

Today’s venue included a trip the U.S. E massy to conducted a digital video conference with the the American Corners in Bandung, Yogyakarta and Surabaya. American corners are areas reserved in the public libraries where there are a collection of American books and materials. These “corners” are supplied with materials from the US Embassy. There were a about 30 high school students in the room with me in Jakarta, plus about 20 or so more at each of the three “corners.” I could see them on a video screen and they could see me in the same manner.

The students were all dressed in their uniforms. I wish I could have taken a photo of these colorful uniforms but the embassy did not allow me to take my camera (or any other electronic devices) into the lecture room. While the technical issues were being worked out, I was able to speak directly to the students in Jakarta; asking them about their favorite subjects, their future plans, and other light chatter prior to the “show.” I was a bit surprised to hear that several of the students did not have college plans. I hope I made a difference, as they seemed very interested in the topic. Further at the end of the lecture many of these “non-college bound” students asked me questions and asked for my business card.

The Q and A sessions that follow the talks are always challenging for me. First, I have a hard time understanding the questions because of the difficulty many of the folks have with English. Of course their English is better than my Bahasa Indonesia (the Indonesian language) so I shouldn’t complain. But the questions range from the simple to the impossible. A few examples:

  1. Is there a way that Indonesians can come to America to study for free?
  2. At my town, the industry does not recognize our students’ degrees. What should we do?
  3. How can we have a community college? Can you bring them here?

After the meeting I was rushed away from the embassy to attend a press conference at the Jakarta Fulbright office. These offices are called AMINEF. I am not sure what the acronym stands for; but it is in the Indonesian language.

Five reporters from the major Jakarta area newspapers were present and asked quite a few questions. They took a few pictures too. I hope to be able to see these articles.

From there we went to the Jakarta Airport to catch our plan to Balikpapan (Borneo). I know I have already spoken of the traffic, but it is so unbelievable that it merits additional comment. A short destination takes a tremendous time due to the congestion. The snail’s pace allows street vendors to buzz around and be pretty insistent.

Another Jakarta common scene is individuals standing in the street holding up a finger. I thought they were hitchhikers, or beggars. But I learned that they are willing to ride with you so that you can take advantage of the HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes that move a little bit faster. Amazingly, this takes place in front of the police.

The Jakarta airport has a steep learning curve. For example, I learned that every suitcase must be placed on a machine to have a chord wrapped around its middle. I guess this keeps the workers from opening the bags. Then at the ticketing counter, I had to pay an airport tax plus another fee for overweight baggage.

I thought the security at the Jakarta Airport would have been very strict. WRONG. Imagine, I did not have to take my computer out of my bag, take off my shoes, or remove my suitcoat. This was especially surprising since the hotels have such tight security.

On the plane I was shocked to be served a meal complete with a Dixie-cup of ice-cream. Not bad for a 2 hour domestic trip.

I landed on the island of Borneo and the city of Balikpapan. I think this is pretty amazing because my only knowledge of Borneo has been through National Geographic. My first impression of this island is positive. Whereas I found Jakarta to be big and dirty, Balikpapan is green and less crowded.

We went directly to the hotel; the Novotel of Balikpapan. So far, my experiences have been less than satisfactory. We arrived around 7:30 PM local time. When we tried to check in we were told that the rooms were not ready yet. Seems odd that the rooms weren't ready at 7:30 PM? But, when in Indonesia, one has to do like the Indonesians. It took a good hour to get the key. Then I couldn't get the elevator to work. I had to get another key (you need to swipe the room key to make the elevator work). When I arrived in my room, my bag was waiting for me (good news) but the bad news is that there was a strange bag in my room too! Soooo back down to the lobby bringing the suitcase that belongs to someone else.

I am tired and am going to bed. Tomorrow will be another busy day.




3 comments:

  1. I believe you made a positive influence on the students attitude about postsecondary education and you may have already changed their life! It is really bizarre to find somebody else’s bag in your own hotel room. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those high school students were lucky to be there, I believe the lecture made them think about what they want to do with their future.

    Do you perhaps know on which issue the article on community college will be posted by those reporters (Jakarta Post or some other newspapers)? I'd like to see them too..

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMINEF: American Indonesian Exchange Foundation or Fulbright Scholarship Administrator in Indonesia. Thanks to AMINEF I could go to Kirkwood Community College :)

    ReplyDelete